has been fortunate to travel to many exciting destinations on the planet and experience the beauty of nature and cultures of the world. With a background in Health and a Masters in International Public Health Vinita saw first hand the disastrous health and environmental impacts of traditional cotton growing with farmer suicides, child labour, pesticide poisoning, birth defects, harmful dyes and toxic water ways. After years in the field meeting with amazing NGOs, grassroots organizations and a growing movement of organic farmers, it was time for positive change. Vinita combined her deep love for the Earth, humanity and sustainable design to create Bhumi Organic Cotton.
IN THIS EPISODE I TALKED TO VINITA BARAVKAR ABOUT:
- her family and her family life
- winning an AusMumpreneur Sustainability award
- meaning of the word Bhumi and why she chose that name for her business
- the journey she had before starting her business
- inspiration behind starting her organic cotton based business Bhumi Organic Cotton
- starting the Bhumi Organic Cotton as an online business, growing the range and it’s expansion into store space
- different types of certifications for organic cotton
- audits and strictness around certifications and how this ensures products are ethically produced
- her relationship with the farming communities and her manufacturers overseas
- her role in the business
- competition in the Australian market
- their marketing strategy focusing on education awareness
- creating partnerships outside of their immediate industry
- her proudest business moment so far
- the challenges she had on her journey as a mumpreneur and having thoughts about giving up
- importance of ‘You Time’
- her long term vision for the business
- support from her family
- her top tip for anyone wanting to create ethically produced and certified products
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
WHERE TO FIND VINITA:
Vinita Baravkar on FACEBOOK
Vinita Baravkar on Instagram
Join the club if you are MUMPRENEUR
If you enjoyed this episode, please let me know what I did well, what else I could include or improve on in future episodes. You can email me at email@example.com or simply post your thoughts in the comment section below or tweet me @Petra_Jones.
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to have The Mumpreneur Show automatically downloaded when a new episode goes live.
If you love what this show is about and you enjoyed listening to my conversations, please leave an honest review on iTunes for The Mumpreneur Show. It would mean the world to me. Reviews are really important, and I will read each and every one of them.
If you have specific questions that I can answer in one of my podcast shows, email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will either personally respond to you or create a podcast show solely dedicated to answering your questions.
All dreams have a chance to arrive if you invite them! – thanks for listening – Petra x